Ergonomics are a central part of back and spine health! Our Fort Collins family chiropractors are passionate about helping people live better, and that includes building healthy habits. The science of ergonomics is concerned with designing and arranging things to maximize comfort and minimize fatigue. If you’ve ever sat in an ergonomic chair or typed on an ergonomic keyboard, you know the difference a well-designed piece of equipment can make.
But ergonomics isn’t just about using better equipment to improve our health. It’s also about consciously moving our body in ways that support our health. In today’s blog post, the professionals here at Revelation Chiropractic are sharing tips for improving everyday ergonomics to improve your overall health. Continue reading to learn more, and if you’d like to schedule an appointment, our chiropractors can help with migraines, lower back pain, neck pain, and more.
Benefits Of Ergonomics
Ergonomics are central to preventing pain and injury of all kinds. Think about how your neck hurts after you’ve fallen asleep in a weird position. Or, if you work at a desk, how your shoulders or lower back may hurt after a long day at the office. Here at Revelation Chiropractic in Fort Collins, we stress to our patients how important it is to move through the motions of your day with ergonomics in mind. Not only will you help prevent injury, but you’ll also feel better!
Whether you’re lifting a heavy box on moving day or simply picking up a pencil you dropped, you should do so with proper ergonomics.
- Keep your back straight and bend at the knees
- Lift using your legs
- Keep what you’re carrying close to your body
- Pivot instead of twisting your torso
- Get help if something is too heavy!
If you lift regularly for your job and experience back pain, regular appointments with a chiropractor at Revelation Chiropractic can help alleviate pain and keep your spine in alignment.
You probably spend more time in your car than you think! To keep your spine healthy while driving you should do the following:
- Adjust the angle of your seat to 90 degrees
- Sit up straight with your head close to the headrest
- Adjust the steering wheel so that you don’t have to stretch to reach it
- Get out and stretch when you’re driving for long periods of time
At A Desk
Most conversations about posture and ergonomics have to do with helping support your body while working at a desk. The muscles in your spine and joints become weaker if you spend all day sitting and typing with poor posture. Here are a few tips:
- Have a good chair that fits your body and supports the lower back
- Adjust your desk or your chair so that your elbow is at a right angle while typing
- Use a footrest if your chair is too tall
- Take breaks to walk or stretch every hour
- If you have a standing desk, try to stand as often as possible
Many of our patients here at Revelation Chiropractic come to us with back pain caused by sitting at a desk all day.
If you are experiencing back pain or any other kind of musculoskeletal pain, our Fort Collins chiropractors can help — contact us today to learn more!