There is a broad range of conditions that are treated by chiropractors. Lower back pain is a common complaint we care for in practice. A complex region made up of a lot of muscles, joints, ligaments, and nerves are the lower back and pelvis. Sitting on top of it as well as sustaining movement of the legs below it, the lower back is designed to support and stabilize the entire spine. To avoid lower back pain or tension, it is important that we keep these areas active, relaxed and strong. On both the left or right side, lower back pain can occur. People can experience pain or stiffness in both sides of their lower back which can also lead to numbness, tingling or weakness down the legs in many cases. Physical overloading stress, poor posture, back/disc injuries or degeneration (wear and tear) are the common factors that can cause lower back pain.
What Other Symptoms Come with Lower Back Pain?
– Hip, back, or leg pain
– Back area having muscle tightness & spasms
– Leg numbness or pins and needles
– Forward positioning of the pelvis
– Lower back movement limitations
How Do I Strengthen My Lower Back?
To help reduce lower back pain from occurring and prevent it from flaring up in the long term, there are several things you can do. Below are some tips to helping avoid lower back pain.
1) Ensure your back and pelvis are sitting directly into the crease of the seat when driving or sitting in a car. Ensure the vehicle’s seat angle is set between 90-110 degrees.
2) With a medium to low heel, wear comfortable, supportive shoes. Especially for people standing for long periods of time good footwear is super important.
3) To de-stress your body, relax the muscles & joints and improve back flexibility, doing some mindfulness activities and/or regularly stretching will help.
4) In order to not strain the back region, ensure you bend through your knees and use the strength of your legs and back when ting heavy or big item.
5) Make certain your mattress is supportive while lying in bed, avoid sleeping on your tummy and for extra support through your back, try sleeping with a pillow between your legs.
How to Relieve & Prevent Lower Back Pain
Performing specific stretches or exercises is another tool you can use to reduce and prevent lower back pain. Below are exercises to assist with any lower back pain or tension build-up.
Knee Hugs. Knee hugs will not only stretch the lower back but also targets the gluteus muscles and sciatic nerve.
Supine Twist Stretch. A great way to stretch the entire lower back and its big muscles is the supine twist stretch.
Seated Glute Stretch. Through the gluteus muscles in your bottom, lower back pain can also be caused by tightness. Especially the big ones like Gluteus Maximus and Piriformis, this exercise will target the glute muscles.
In the mobility and functionality of the entire spine and body, the lower back and pelvis region plays a massive role. Try these simple exercises or implement the useful tips from this blog to make an impact on your back pain today if you are experiencing lower back pain.
Chiropractic Care & Therapy in Fort Collins, CO (Just Minutes from Loveland, Berthoud, Johnstown, Windsor and Wellington, Colorado)
With the help of Revelation Chiropractic, we can help you alleviate the back pain and with the stretches helping with your treatment, you can find some relief. Call us today to schedule your appointment.